New Licenses and Certificates
Unless you meet one if the license-exempt criteria in the Exemptions Rule, you are required to have a license or certificate from Child Care Licensing if you are or will be providing home-based care for more than 6 children not related to you or you are administering a center-based program that provides care to children for direct or indirect compensation.
Before starting the licensing or certification process, you can request a Technical Assistance Consultation from one of our licensors. The licensor will meet with you, answer your questions, and give you valuable information and resources to help you through the process.
To Become Licensed or Certified
Center-based providers or programs are in a commercial setting.
- Licensed Center providers can provide care for children of all ages. The children have regular schedules of care.
- Licensed Hourly Center providers can provide care for children of all ages. The children do not have regular schedules of care; they are cared for on a drop-in basis.
- Licensed Out of School Time Program providers can provide care only for school age (ages 5 to 12) children. The care is before and after school and on school holidays.
- Licensed Commercial Preschool Program providers can provide care only for children between the ages of 2 and 4. Each child is in care for less than 4 hours a day.
- Center-Based Comparison Chart
Home-based providers are in the provider's home.
- Licensed Family providers must care for at least one child not related to them. The children have regular schedules of care.
- Residential Certified providers must also care for at least one child not related to them. The children also have regular schedules of care.
- Home-Based Comparison Chart
2. According to your provider or program type, complete the steps listed
- Obtaining a License - Checklist
- Lista de comprobación para Obtener Una licencia
What to Expect During a Home Pre-License/Certificate Inspection
After you complete all steps and are in compliance with all rules, you will receive your license or certificate.